Celebrate the New Year with 400-pound Peeps drop during PeepsFest in Bethlehem Dec. 30-31
From a press release:
In Atlanta, Georgia, they drop a peach. In Boise, Idaho, it’s a potato, cheese gets dropped in Plymouth, Wisconsin and, in Bethlehem, Just Born Quality Confections and ArtsQuest drop a 400-pound Peeps chick as PeepsFest, the two-day New Year’s Eve festival, returns to the SteelStacks for its ninth year on Saturday, Dec. 30 through Sunday, Dec. 31.
The Peeps drop is the highlight of PeepsFest, a family-friendly festival that celebrates the fun and excitement of the Peeps brand at the iconic SteelStacks in Bethlehem. Weighing in at 400 pounds and standing four feet and nine inches tall, the Peeps chick descends for the countdown to the New Year on Dec. 31 at 5:15 p.m., followed by a stunning display of fireworks, commemorating the beginning of an exciting New Year.
“The Peeps chick is an iconic symbol that represents the Peeps brand, our company, and our community,” says Meg Dowd, corporate affairs specialist at Just Born Quality Confections, which is based in Bethlehem. “We are excited to partner with ArtsQuest on this festival, which now attracts more than 10,000 people to Bethlehem to celebrate the New Year. We’re look forward to celebrating with fans, some of who travel from all over the country, at PeepsFest 2017!”
Along with the popular chick drop, this year’s PeepsFest has several new events for the entire family:
- Create your own paint splat bisque ceramic magnet with Color Me Mine and take home free hair chalk and goody bags featuring coupons, candy, and temporary tattoos
- Ride the thrilling new Dutch Springs Zip Line on the Air Products Town Square
- Kids can help make the tallest Peeps skyscraper with the National Museum of Industrial History
- Learn how to make a Peeps holiday wreath on Dec. 30 at 2 p.m.
Other PeepsFest highlights include:
- Watch the Mascot Dash on Dec. 20 at noon and take part in the Kids Fun Run on Dec. 30 at 12:30 p.m.
- Catch the Peeps Chick Rising Ceremony on Dec. 30 at 4 p.m.
- Join the party at the Family Disco Lounge presented by Capital BlueCross
- Get crafty at the creativity table with the Banana Factory Arts Center
- Keep warm with make-your-own Peeps s’mores
PeepsFest concludes Dec. 31 with the Peeps New Year’s Eve Party featuring We Kids Rock at 4:30 p.m. and the world-famous Peeps Chick Drop at 5:15 p.m., followed by the popular fireworks show.
PeepsFest at the SteelStacks (101 Founders Way, Bethlehem) is presented by Just Born Quality Confections and the nonprofit ArtsQuest. Festival hours are Dec. 30 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and Dec. 31 from 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Admission is free, although a few select activities, such as the Family Disco Lounge, Dutch Springs Zip Line, and PeepsFest 5K, require an admission ticket or additional charge. Proceeds from PeepsFest go to support the festival and ArtsQuest’s other free programming for the region.