See classic movies like ‘Mary Poppins’ and ‘Harry Potter’ monthly at F.M. Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre June 21-Dec. 20
From a press release:
The building now known as the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts first opened its doors in 1938 as the Comerford Theatre, one of the area’s finest movie palaces. The Wilkes-Barre venue celebrated its 80th anniversary last year by paying tribute to its theatrical roots with classic movie screenings, and this series will return in 2019.
Shown one Friday a month at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., the “Classic Movies at the Kirby” series will feature a wide variety of Hollywood’s most memorable films on the big screen, the way they were originally intended to be seen. Highlights in the series include “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” the movie that introduced audiences to action hero Indiana Jones; Walt Disney’s “Mary Poppins;” and “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” the first film in the popular “Harry Potter” series.
In addition to the once-a-month Friday screenings, there will be a special showing of the original 1947 version of “Miracle on 34th Street” on Small Business Saturday, Nov. 30.
Tickets for the matinee showings are only $3, while all evening showings are just $5.
The “Classic Movies at the Kirby” Series is sponsored by Flashback Cinema. Each showing will be preceded by an on-screen introduction by Flashback Cinema host and Northeastern Pennsylvania native John Hersker, who will provide historical background for the films.
The Kirby Center has also announced the lineup of the 2019 W. Curtis Montz Film Series, featuring three documentary films, three foreign films, and four independent films. Get the details here.
“Classic Movies at the Kirby” schedule:
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, PG, 115 minutes) – June 21 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Mary Poppins (1964, G, 139 minutes) – July 5 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Top Gun (1986, PG, 110 minutes) – Aug. 23 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Dr. Zhivago (1965, PG-13, 197 minutes) – Sept. 20 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Young Frankenstein (1974, PG, 106 minutes) – Oct. 25 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001, PG, 152 minutes) – Nov. 22 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947, not rated, 101 minutes) 101 minutes – Nov. 30 (Small Business Saturday)
- It’s a Wonderful Life (1946, PG, 130 minutes) – Dec. 20 – 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
For more information on the film series or any other Kirby event, or to learn how to become a Member of the F.M. Kirby Center (71 Public Square, Wilkes-Barre), visit kirbycenter.org or call 570-826-1100.
Flashback Cinema programs and markets classic movies in theaters across the United States. It is the creation of John Hersker, a fourth-generation theater operator and former executive vice president of Paramount Pictures. He is also a native and current resident of NEPA. For more information, go to flashbackcinema.net or follow Flashback Cinema on Facebook.