Tribute band Almost Queen plays in parking lot of Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre on July 17
From a press release:
It was announced today that the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre Township will host Almost Queen, a tribute to the legendary rock band Queen, live on stage from the arena parking lot on Friday, July 17 at 8 p.m.
Presented by Geisinger, the event will be featured as part of the venue’s “Drive-In Live Concert Series” taking place this summer. Almost Queen, who has been seen locally at the F.M. Kirby Center, Mohegan Sun Pocono, and the Sherman Theater, is presented locally by Scranton classic rock radio station Rock 107 and produced by SLP Concerts.
Tickets for Almost Queen, which are $99.50 per vehicle (that’s under $25 per person with four people per car), go on sale this Friday, June 26 at 10 a.m. exclusively via ticketmaster.com. For tickets purchased through Ticketmaster, only touchless mobile tickets administered through the Ticketmaster app (iOS and Android) will be valid for this event.
Tickets will also be available via the NBT Bank Box Office (255 Highland Park Blvd., Wilkes-Barre), which just reopened yesterday for summer hours of operation after closing on March 16 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A limited number of Gold Circle ($199.50) and Silver Circle ($149.50) parking spaces will be made available for this performance. Gold Circle and Silver Circle parking guarantees a spot in the first few rows in closest proximity to the stage.
A maximum of four occupants will be permitted per vehicle. Up to 1,000 vehicles will be permitted for the event.
Social distancing measures will operate in accordance with Pennsylvania guidelines (subject to change):
- Vehicles will be spaced to accommodate social distancing.
- Cars will park in a staggered fashion to achieve spacing and best visibility.
- Patrons may only leave their vehicles to use their tailgating space adjacent to their vehicle, restrooms, or to obtain concessions.
- A maximum of four people are allowed in each tailgating space.
- Masks must be worn by any patrons traveling to and from portable restrooms and concessions.
- Portable, single-stall restrooms will be located throughout the parking lot and cleaned frequently.
Additional information for these first-of-a-kind concert experiences:
- Almost Queen will be live and in-person on stage.
- Passenger vehicles only. No motorcycles, buses, party buses, limousines, RVs, bicycles, or foot traffic allowed. ADA accessible vehicles will be permitted.
- All tickets are general admission and spots cannot be reserved.
- Guests may bring their own food and beverage. No grills permitted.
- Event is rain or shine.
- Event will take place in the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza parking lot. All cars must enter through the main entrance from Highland Park Boulevard.
- Audio amplification will be announced at the event.
- Cars with more than four adults will be turned away without refund.
- Vehicles are subject to search upon entry.
- No pets allowed.
- Once parked, vehicle relocation is not permitted.
- Please follow parking attendants’ directions to your parking spot.
- Please pull forward into the spot – don’t try to back in.
- If you wish to park with your friends, we recommend you meet away from the venue and drive in together.
State guidance on social distancing, public gatherings, and certain procedures and practices is subject to change. The Mohegan Sun Arena will keep customers informed of changes as they pertain to these events at mohegansunarenapa.com. For a list of frequently asked questions as it pertains to this event, visit mohegansunarenapa.com/events/almostqueen.
Almost Queen promises to deliver “the most authentic Queen live show since the days of Queen themselves.” The deliberate four-piece band showcases signature four-part harmonies and intricate musical interludes. Donning genuine costumes, Almost Queen recaptures the live energy and precision of the ultimate rock band.
Expect to hear iconic classics like “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “We Will Rock You,” “We Are the Champions,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love,” and “Another One Bites the Dust.” This accurate Queen experience has sold out numerous times in places like Sellersville and is still riding high on Queen’s resurgence in popularity following the 2018 release of the biographical film “Bohemian Rhapsody,” a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music, and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury. Played by Rami Malek, Mercury defied stereotypes and shattered conventions to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound that cements a legacy that inspires outsiders, dreamers, and music lovers to this day.
In Almost Queen, Joseph Russo portrays Freddie Mercury with Steve Leonard as Brian May, John Cappadona as Roger Taylor, and Randy Gregg as John Deacon.
“These guys are even better than the Queen that’s out there touring,” Howard Stern said of Almost Queen.
“Almost Queen is better at playing Queen than Bent Brother is at playing Twisted Sister,” Mark “The Animal” Mendoza of Twister Sister noted. His bandmate Eddie Ojeda agreed: “I am a very big Queen fan, and Almost Queen does a great job of creating the illusion of actually seeing Queen live. We all miss Freddie Mercury; I feel the band pays tribute to him and Queen respectfully.”