Philly debuts the 1st annual Philadelphia Cheesesteak Festival on Oct. 24
From a press release:
Philadelphia is offering “your ticket to cheesesteak heaven” with the first annual Philadelphia Cheesesteak Festival on Saturday, Oct. 24 at Lincoln Financial Field (1020 Pattison Ave., Philadelphia).
The concept was developed to pair a love of food festivals with the iconic sandwich of Philadelphia. New Yorkers celebrate the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest every Fourth of July in a national eating spectacular broadcast on ESPN. Philadelphia deserves to celebrate the cheesesteak in “grand fashion,” and thus the ultimate food festival was born.
The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Festival is an event that the City of Brotherly Love can be proud of, uniting all Philadelphians through the universal love of the cheesesteak sandwich. Tickets are $20, $40, and $60 and can be purchased in advance at cheesesteakfest.com. A percentage of tickets will benefit Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.
The festivities will include:
- Over 40 cheesesteak vendors from the Philadelphia area
- Cheesesteak competitive eating contest
- High Steaks! chef-inspired cheesesteak cook-off
- Construction of the world’s largest cheesesteak
- Live entertainment from Go Go Gadjet and StellarMojo
- Philadelphia Phillies legendary catcher Darren Daulton
- The Philadelphia 76ers Dancers
- The Philadelphia Mummers
- Live airing on Comcast Sports Network
- Radio hosts from 97.5 The Fanatic, WMMR, MGK, and Ben FM
- Carnival games
- Zip-line rides
- Mechanical bull rides
- Beer outlets and food trucks
- The Philadelphia Cornhole League Tournament
- Cheesy, Philly’s new cheesesteak mascot
- GoPro cheesesteak cam
- And more!
Watch the short film “The Great Cheesesteak Debate” to see just how important the cheesesteak is to Philadelphia culture: