Everhart Museum in Scranton establishes Lois C. Kearney Learning Center
From a press release:
This week, the board of trustees of the Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science, and Art and the John Kearney family announced the dedication of the Lois C. Kearney Learning Center at the museum and the establishment of the Lois C. Kearney Endowment Fund to support the institution’s educational programs.
The dedication ceremony, attended by friends of the Kearney family and the Everhart, took place on Nov. 19.
Lois Kearney (1949–2017) was dedicated to the Northeastern Pennsylvania community, selflessly volunteering and championing the benefits of art and education on behalf of the Everhart Museum, as well as numerous other institutions and organizations. Her husband John Kearney and their children and grandchildren wished to honor her life’s work, passion for art and education, and selfless spirit through a generous gift that will benefit the community for generations to come.
The Learning Center will be used for educational programs embodying Lois Kearney’s love of nature, science, and art, and instilling this passion in all who participate.
The Everhart Museum (1901 Mulberry St., Scranton) is open to the public from noon-5 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturdays, and noon-5 p.m. on Sundays. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for students and seniors, and free for children 12 and under, Everhart Museum members, and members of the military and their family.
The Everhart was founded in 1908 by Dr. Isaiah Fawkes Everhart, a Scranton physician and businessman with a keen interest in natural history. Located in Scranton’s historic Nay Aug Park, the Everhart is the largest general museum in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It is dedicated to the collection, care, and display of a diverse array of objects and specimens, including natural history, science, and fine arts. Through its exhibitions and programs, this not-for-profit institution has been an invaluable regional resource for educational and cultural opportunities for over 100 years.
General support for the museum is received from the Lackawanna County Office of Education and Culture, the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, the city of Scranton, and contributions from individuals and businesses. For more information, contact the museum at 570-346-7186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.