PHOTOS: ‘SCENE’ compilation release show at The Bog in Scranton, 04/06/18
Before the Internet provided easy ways to sample, discover, share, and download new music, compilation CDs were a great way to find your next favorite band – and they still can be.
These collections are still made today, but not as frequently in their old physical forms of tapes and compact discs, so to celebrate 10 years of photographing bands in the Northeastern Pennsylvania music scene, Wilkes-Barre photographer and 1120 Studios founder Keith Perks compiled brand new, demo, and unreleased tracks from 19 active and former local bands to create “SCENE.” Printing a small, limited run this CD with original artwork and photos on the outside and inside of the sleeve, Perks debuted “SCENE” at The Bog in Scranton during the First Friday art walk on April 6, tying the release in with his photography show of the same name featuring other NEPA musicians.
As the art walk came to a close, four acts featured on the album – folk singer American Buffalo Ghost, sleaze rock band Idol Hands, indie rockers Esta Coda, and rap group Mercy Gang – capped the night off with live performances while NEPA Scene streamed each set on Facebook. The show was free, but donations and proceeds from the CD sales went back into NEPA Scene’s operating costs.
“I thought this could be a cool group effort to shine a light on local bands and also a show to benefit NEPA Scene, which has been so supportive of this area and its many talented artists,” Perks said a few weeks before the event.
“I’ve been wanting to produce another comp, and I think this could be good timing. Years ago in 2006, I produced the ‘Peep Show’ comp CD, which featured Label the Traitor, Goodbye Soundscape, Alesana, Trophy Scars, Title Fight, Motionless in White, and Devil Sold His Soul, to name a few.”
He also couldn’t help but take more photos during the show, and the local music scene continues to be better off for that passion.
Those who want to purchase the remaining copies of the “SCENE” compilation can get them at the NEPA Scene Rising Talent open mic and talent contest at The V-Spot (906 Providence Rd., Scranton) on Tuesday nights from 6:30 p.m.-11 p.m. through June 12, another event created to boost NEPA artists. For more details, see the Facebook event page.
1. Idol Hands – Silver Whiskers (new)
2. Down to Six – Promises (new)
3. A Fire With Friends – Heaven (new)
4. Black Hole Heart – Full Circle
5. Luna Soltera – Two Spirits Destined to Dance But Never Touched
6. Kali Ma and the Garland of Arms – What Goes Around (new)
7. American Buffalo Ghost – The Child the Earth Speaks To
8. The Charming Beards – Pissing in the Kitchen (unreleased demo)
9. Zayre Mountain – The Score (new)
10. University Drive – You Said (unreleased demo)
11. Esta Coda – Blank Page (new)
12. Mercy Gang (featuring Jay Preston and Ed Cuozzo) – Road to Hell
13. Lucas Hex – I Know You See Me
14. Alpha Audio – Pistolvania (new)
15. Silhouette Lies – Jezebel (unreleased demo)
16. Machine Arms – Passive Aggressive Death Machine (new)
17. Vulturepeak – Bright Eyes (new)
18. Mind Power – Cruel World (new)
19. The Hill You Die On – Absolute Zero (new)
Photos by Keith Perks/1120 Studios
by Rich Howells
Rich is an award-winning journalist, longtime blogger, photographer, and podcast host. He is the founder and editor of NEPA Scene.